Design that makes a difference
If you follow me on facebook you will have seen this little DIY project already. But for those of you who haven’t seen it yet – I thought I would share! And if you’re intrested in more fun little tidbits follow my facebook page!
So in my house there is a mirror. It’s no ordinary mirror, except that it’s completely ordinary. Somehow in the early 2000’s builders thought it was a brilliant idea to clothe a closet in giant mirrors. I happen to think that logic is flawed in more ways than one. My husband and I bought this house on a 3 year plan when we got married. We are still here and now in year 10! Needless to say I’ve employed my creativity in making our home more quaint and less cookie cutter over the years.
So back to this mirror. Here it is in all of it’s boring and large glory:
The windows on our house all have white mullions, so I got to thinking…wouldn’t it be nice to have french doors? Well, yes, of course it would be! Problem: the mirrors cover up a rather unpleasant utility closet & I don’t want to put the cash into french doors that I will have to end up purchasing window coverings (mounted inside so I can still see the pretty doors) that won’t stay real clean…
Solution: Electrical Tape! That’s right, I took electrical tape, some scissors, a tape measure and a dry erase marker and created ‘mullions’ on my glass doors.
I was pretty pleased after I got all of the taping and trimming done. It still felt not quite finished, however. So a quick trip to my local Target solved that problem! I added window treatments, swapped out my old rug for a brighter, fresher one and ta-dah!
This little project cost under $100 (not including the rug) and took only a couple hours of time! It made a big difference in the feel of our little dining space and created an atmosphere that is delightful, bright, and happy! Nevermind that the pictures were done after dark…so it’s not quite as amazing as it is during the day!